Measuring the Impact of an Operating System Model Change for Global Company
- Accomplishments: Measured the extent of process and cultural change in a large global company that changed its operating model away from decentralized decision making, including introducing stronger central functions and centers of excellence
- Key insight: Using behavioral and business measurements to evaluate the bottom line impact of an operating model change.
Decision Making Optimization for Global Pharmaceuticals Company
- Accomplishments: Designed organization diagnosis framework to evaluate the structure of decision making and decision rights throughout the organization and across all functions and divisions globally. The company used the results to clarify roles and responsibilities, realign decision making processes, and improve two-way communication throughout the corporate structure.
- Key insight: How to achieve the right balance between top-down vs. bottom-up and center-led vs. geographically dispersed decision making.
Talent Management Optimization for Multinational Company’s Operation in China
- Accomplishments: Assessed hiring profile for key frontline talent roles, and the career development and talent management systems needed to improve retention, motivation and productivity. The company used the results to restructure recruiting, training and development.
- Key insight: How to tradeoff building capability for profitability today versus market share and strategic success in the long run in a rapidly expanding emerging market.
Role Optimization for Indonesian Conglomerate
- Accomplishments: Assessed role design and business unit structure for multiple layers of management for third largest pineapple plantation in the world.
- Key insight: How to structure roles, responsibilities, competencies and organizational processes to increase efficiency of decision making and organizational effectiveness.
Global Intergenerational Management for Multinational Professional Services Firm
- Accomplishments: Most comprehensive scientific evaluation of the drivers of retention and engagement for the new versus older generations of workers. Data collected from over 40,000 people in 19 countries worldwide.
- Key insight: Separating myth versus reality for how organizations need to change to adapt to the new generation, how the new generation needs to adapt to the world of work, and which management practices are going to have the biggest impact.
Merger Integration Evaluation for Chinese Engineering Firm
- Accomplishments: Evaluated merger that created a subsidiary.
- Key insight: Identified areas for improvement in management practices and talent management.
Productivity of Globally Distributed Software Development for Fortune 200 Technology Company
- Sponsored by Sloan Foundation
- Accomplishments: Company used the results to evaluate cost-benefits of moving software development to lower cost labor markets worldwide.
- Key insights: Salary costs comparisons alone are insufficient to manage the ROI of spreading work around the globe. The costs and benefits of differentiating and integrating work across time and space are just as important and may dominate labor cost differences.